Welcome to Room 405
To all my dear students,
"Practice makes perfect," , and hopefully you'll have plenty of practices on this site. Take it with you wherever you go, and just an exercise a day that could make a different in your language acquisition :)
VOCABULARY CHAPTER 6 UNIT 1
Chapter 6- Unit 1- The World’s Oldest University
- Attend (verb)- to be present at a place
Ex: I attended the wedding at the church.
- Train (verb) –to educate instruct
- Ex: Trade schools train students in job skills.
- Modern (adjective) – new, the latest of something
- Ex: Modern computers keep getting faster and faster.
- Invention (noun)- the act of creating a thing or the thing is being created
- Ex: The invention of the Internet brings people closer.
- Mosque (noun)- a building where Muslims go for religious service
- Ex: The Muslims pray five times a day in a mosque.
- Tutor (noun) a teacher who helps students individually
- Ex: She is a tutor who helps foreign students with their English.
- Course (noun)- class
- Ex: I tool a college course in English literature.
- Religion (noun) a system of beliefs in a god or philosophy of life
- Ex: Buddhism and Hinduism are two of the world’s major religions.
- Discussion (noun) people freely share ideas about a topic
- Ex: I wanted to have a discussion about your behavior in class.
- Scholar (noun)- someone who knows a lot about a particular subject
- Ex: For some people, William Shakespeare was a scholar on classical English literature.
- Share (verb)- to let someone have to or use something of yours.
- Ex: When we sold the business, y sister and I shared equally in the profits.
- Valuable (adj)- having worth value
- Ex: Gold jewelry is valuable.
- Tradition (noun)- a custom, an old way of celebrating a religious or cultural event
- Ex: Eating a turkey is a tradition of American Thanksgiving.
VOCABULARY CHAPTER 5 UNIT 1 and UNIT 2
Chapter 5- Unit 1- Believe it or not
- Dinosaur (noun) many small to huge reptiles that lived millions of years ago.
- Example: Tyrannosaurus Rex was a large meat eating dinosaur.
- Creature (noun) a living being
- Example: The creatures on Earth include humans and animals.
- Monster (noun) an imaginary large ugly terrifying creature
- Example: A sea monster lives in this lake.
- Surprise (verb) to cause or create a surprise; to meet unexpectedly
- Example: He surprised us by saying that he was leaving the company.
- Last night, he surprised the thief in the office.
- Fake (adjective)- not real
- Example: This painting is fake.
- Practical (adjective)- sensible, not acting foolishly
- Example: They wanted to buy a white couch, but with three small children, it just wasn’t practical.
- Prank (noun) a trick that is intended to make someone look silly
- Example: Ms. Jong pulled the prank with the help of her college roommate.
- Joke (noun) something you do or say that s funny.
- Example: I laughed at the joke.
- Spread (verb)- to cause something to go a distance to many people: to spread the news, to spread disease.
- Example: The girls spreads the news to her classmates.
- Upset (adjective) troubled, hurt, emotionally; angry
- Example: He was upset by the bad news.
Chapter 5- Unit 2- April Fool
- Celebrate(verb)- to do something special (like having a party) for an occasion
- Example: I celebrate my birthday in a restaurant.
- Special (adj)- important, meaningful
- Example: A birthday is a special occasion.
- Century (noun)- a period of time equal to 100 years
- Example: My grandparents moved west at the turn of the century.
- Common (adj.)- often and too many people or in many places
- Example: Car accidents are common events.
- Ahead (adv): in front of someone or something
- Example: DO you see that red convertible car ahead of us?
- Switch (verb)- the change or exchange
- Example: He switched trains in Chicago.
- Tail (noun)- the movable part at the back of an animal’s body.
- Example: The dog is wagging its tail.
- Secretly (adv)- in a secret way, without anyone knowing
- Example: I secretly recorded our conversation
- Laughter (noun)- the sound of laughing
- Example: The laughter from the audience lasted for several minutes.
- Shout (verb/noun)- to loud cry, to yell
- Example: He shouted, “Here! Over here!”
- Brian shouts, “Be careful!”
- A pig’s tail is curly and short.
- Dinosaurs lived centuries ago.
- Leina is driving ahead of me.
- I always love to listen to babies’ laughter. It’s very cute.
- We often celebrate my mother’s birthday at home.
- I asked the teacher to switch my seat because I cannot see from the back the of the class.
- Graduation is a special occasion for many people.
- I secretly prepared a romantic meal for my husband on our anniversary.
- Flu is very common in the winter.
- I don’t like to celebrate my birthday because it means I get older.
- Hamburger is a common food in America
- To surprise my brother on his birthday, we switched off the light and waited for him to come home in the dark.
- The moment a baby is born is very special.
- We secretly prepare gifts for our friends for Christmast.
- Brian is always ahead of me in line because he runs faster than me.
- It’s scary to hear some laughter in an empty house.
- The Chinese has been in America for more than five centuries.
- I heard a shout of my name. I turned but didn’t see anyone.
- In some countries, people eat ox’s tail.
Low-income Healthcare Program
Sample My Favorite City
1. What city do you want to visit?
2. How will you get there?
3. Why do you want to go there? List 3 reasons and 3 examples
4. What will you do there? List 2 or 3 activties
5. How long will you stay there?
6. What kind of accommodation will you stay in?
7. How do you feel about the trip?
Kuala Lumpur- Malaysia
I miss the polluted smoke, the horrible traffic and the hot scorching sun in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have been in the United States for a year already, and I plan to go back to Malaysia this Christmas. My family is still over there. They miss me a lot. I also want to take my husband to my country, because he has never been there. Besides, I’m starving for the authentic Malaysian food. Those spicy tofu and hot mushroom noodle always make my mouth watered. On the first few days, I think I will tour my husband around the famous capital of Malaysia. I want to show him where I grew up. Then, I want him to see all of the tourist attractions such as the Petronas Twin Towers, Malaysia Heritage Walk, the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra, the City Center… Then, we will visit other cities and learn about their cultures. We can sunbathe on the beautiful long beach of Batu Ferringhi; or we can hike on the top of the mountain on Brinchang. We can also visit different exciting island attractions like the fund amusement parks Labuan island or the adventurous hiking trail of Tanah Ratah. Finally, we will taste all the authentic food of Malaysia with my beloved family. My husband suggests that we should stay there for at least three weeks, and we will get a one-bedroom studio near my house. I will try to get an inexpensive studio with enough conveniences. I’m very eagerly waiting for my trip.
FUNDING OUR ADULT SCHOOL!!!
MILPITAS LIBRARY SERVICES
Listening & Speaking
Grammar and Writing