Welcome to Room 405
To all my dear students,
"Practice makes perfect," , and hopefully you'll have plenty of practices on this site. Take it with you wherever you go, and just an exercise a day that could make a different in your language acquisition :)
Sample Career Exploration Presentation
Listed under the folder of Sample Presentation on Career Exploration on your right, under Locker :)
Sample Paper for Human Stages of Psychological Development
Name: John Smith ESL 6
Psychological Stages of Human Development Project
I had a chance to interview Mrs. A.L, a 55 year old housewife from Korea. She is my neighbor, and she has been living in America for 20 years. She moved to America from South Korea during her 30s, and she considers America her home now. Mrs. A.L. has two children: one is in college, and the other is working for Oracle as an engineer. Although her English is not perfect, she’s very active in her community. She helps to organize public events; she assists new Korean immigrants to assimilate into the new country. Mrs. A.L. is the role model for many other Korean housewives in my neighborhood.
Mrs. A.L came to America when she was 32 years old. At first, she couldn’t get along well in the new country, but later, she felt more comfortable with the new life. She was engaged when she came to America. Because her husband sponsored her financially, Mrs. A.L spent a few years in college to get her child care teacher license. However, she needed to do volunteer work for a year before she could get a permanent position as a substitute teacher.
English was the most difficult obstacle for her to get passed. She told me that she had taken different routes and different classes to improve her English. Nevertheless, people still had a hard time listening to her speaking because of her accent. Finally, she was able to produce better English due to the help of a speech therapist.
Sample Questions for Human Stages of Psychological Development
I. Infant/ Child Stage
1. How many children do you have? What’s your parenting style?
2. How do your children’s behaviors change from birth to 10 years old?
3. Where were your kids born? Were you expected to raise him by breastfeeding instead of bottle feeding? How would you change your decision if you could?
4. Compare and contrast your parents’ parenting styles to your parenting style.
II. Teenage Stage
1. What’s the difference about teenager’s study, lifestyle, and characters in your country and in America?
2. In your opinion, how has the public image changed over the year? (hair style, dressing style, self-image….)
3. Who is your idol? How does that person motivate you to do things? How do you compare yourself to your idol?
4. Have you done something crazy but interesting to determine your personality? What was it?
III. Young Adult Stage
1. How is the life style in your country and America different?
2. When did you find a job? (How did you land on your first job?) How and what field?
3. What is the most important thing to keep your dating interested?
4. What would you do to make yourself happy without a partner?
5. For your opinion, how difficult is it to find a job today comparing to your time?
6. How did you form close relationship with others compare to nowadays?
7. How important is physical appearance for dating and employment nowadays?
IV. Middle Adult Stage
1. What’s your biggest concern now: Income, health, children…?
2. What was your dream when you first came to America? After these many years, how did you fulfill your dream?
3. What obstacles have you passed through in order to be where you are right now in your career?
4. How does retirement affect your life?
5. How did your life change after retirement?
V. Late Adult Stage
1. At what age do you want to retire?
2. What’s your plan for your retirement?
3. How do you talk to your children and grandchildren?
4. What do you think about today technology?
5. What do you think about death and remarriage?
Up Coming Major Assignments
Major Assignments for the last quarter April 6, 2015 to June 2, 2015
1. Individual Presentation
A. Finding Information on Educational Resources
B. Choose a program and do a presentation about the program in class
2. Counselor/ College/Career Representative Interview
A. Attending a workshop from a local community college, adult school, Recreational Program or other educational training program, and get answers questions about a training program that you are interested in
C. Writing a Letter describing your choice of educational training, including your educational goal, a description of the training, the application process, the course prerequisites, and a request of a letter of recommendation from the teacher
3. Partner/ Group Presentation
A. Recreational Places in the Bay Area
B. Describe events going on at those places and present to the class
4. Native Speaker Interview- Psychological Developmental Stages
- Creating a set of 15 to 20 questions to interview a person who is not a student of Milpitas Adult School, (preferable native speaker of English) about his/her development according to Erikson’s psychological stages of development
- Compare and Contrast the interviewee’s answers with Erikson’s stages
Low-income Healthcare Program
Sample My Favorite City
1. What city do you want to visit?
2. How will you get there?
3. Why do you want to go there? List 3 reasons and 3 examples
4. What will you do there? List 2 or 3 activties
5. How long will you stay there?
6. What kind of accommodation will you stay in?
7. How do you feel about the trip?
Kuala Lumpur- Malaysia
I miss the polluted smoke, the horrible traffic and the hot scorching sun in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have been in the United States for a year already, and I plan to go back to Malaysia this Christmas. My family is still over there. They miss me a lot. I also want to take my husband to my country, because he has never been there. Besides, I’m starving for the authentic Malaysian food. Those spicy tofu and hot mushroom noodle always make my mouth watered. On the first few days, I think I will tour my husband around the famous capital of Malaysia. I want to show him where I grew up. Then, I want him to see all of the tourist attractions such as the Petronas Twin Towers, Malaysia Heritage Walk, the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra, the City Center… Then, we will visit other cities and learn about their cultures. We can sunbathe on the beautiful long beach of Batu Ferringhi; or we can hike on the top of the mountain on Brinchang. We can also visit different exciting island attractions like the fund amusement parks Labuan island or the adventurous hiking trail of Tanah Ratah. Finally, we will taste all the authentic food of Malaysia with my beloved family. My husband suggests that we should stay there for at least three weeks, and we will get a one-bedroom studio near my house. I will try to get an inexpensive studio with enough conveniences. I’m very eagerly waiting for my trip.
FUNDING OUR ADULT SCHOOL!!!
MILPITAS LIBRARY SERVICES
Listening & Speaking
Grammar and Writing