Welcome to Room 405
To all my dear students,
Thank you so much for visiting the site. I hope that this site will give you a better opportunity to practice your English even when you're not in school. Enjoy it and hope it brings you a new perspective on learning a second language.
Please Support Adult Education
Please send an email to any of the Senators below, with the subject or the heading stated: "Please support the Assembly budget proposal to keep Adult Education in K-12 and to fund separately."
Mark Leno, San Francisco, Chair
916 651-4011/ [email protected] Kevin de Leon, Los Angeles
916 651-4022/ [email protected] Bill Emmerson, Riverside
916 651-4023/ [email protected] Loni Hancock, Oakland
916 651-4009/ [email protected]
Bob Blumenfield, Los Angeles, Vice Chair
916 319-2045/ [email protected]
Jeff Gorell, Ventura
916 319-2044/ [email protected]
Holly Mitchell, Los Angeles
916 319-2054/ [email protected]
Nancy Skinner, Berkeley
916 319-2015/ [email protected]
Class Picture 2012-2013
Words to Remember- Vocabulary Builder
1. Definition: to leave behind
2. Part of Speech: verb
3. Synonyms: abdicate, desert, quit, give up, leave, withdraw from, yield, withsake, retire
4. Antonyms: restraint, cherish, keep
5. Related Words: abandoned,d abandonment, abandoner
6. Example Sentence: He abandons his wife and children to follow his dream.
1. Definition: to understand the meaning of something,
2. Part of speech: verb
3. Synonyms: to give, to provide, to explain
4. Antonyms: to misinterpret, to misunderstand
5. Related Words: interpreting, interpretive,
6. Sentence: The teacher asks the students how they interpret the poems.
1. Definition : A faster way of doing something.
2. Part of speech : Noun.
3. Synonyms : beat, bypass, get around, side step
4. Antonyms : accede, assent, pursue, catch
5. Related Words : Avoid, end-run, escape, eschew, prevent
6. Example sentence : I create a shortcut to the batch file on the desktop.
1. Definition : Great skill, the ability to do something happening.
2. Part of speech : Noun.
3. Synonyms : command, expertise, complete control
4. Antonyms : Inefficiency, failure, lack
5. Related Words : Master, masterly
6. Example sentence : He doesn't have mastery of the basic grammar rules .
1. Definition: Prepare for a public performance.
2. Part of Speech: verb.
3. Synonyms: Prepare, Practice, discipline
4. Antonyms: unprepared, indiscipline.
5. Related words: Good for something, prepared, Practiced.
6. Taking time to prepare and REHEARSE before confronting a potentially difficult conversation is always a need for businessmen.
1.[verb] to urge,to remind.
2.[adj] performed or excuted without delay.
3.[noun] a stimulus,something that makes something else happen.
-part of speech: verb,adj,noun
2.[adj] quick, on time, puntual
If you prompt him, he will work harder.
1.[noun] the possibility or likehood of something
2.[verb] to explore a region, to work
-part of speech: noun,verb
He is an excellent speaker who is good at showing potential prospect to his audience.
-Meaning: A very large amount of something.
-Part of speech: Adjective.
-Synonymous: Enormous, Massive, Gigantic, Monstrous, Marvelous, Terrific.
-Antonymous: Insignificant, Little, Small, Tiny, Unimportant, Ordinary.
-Related words: Tremendously, Tremendousness, Untremendous, Untremendously, Untremendousness.
-Sentence example: He had a tremendous appetite during dinner today.
Low-income Healthcare Program
Six Careers That Are High in Salary, Short in School
Earning a bachelor's isn't necessary to pursue these hot, high-paying careers.
Career #1: Paralegal
Career #2: Registered Nurse
Career #3: Police Officer
How to Prepare: At a minimum, the Department of Labor says candidates must be high school graduates (or GED earners), at least 21 years old, and able to successfully pass a rigorous physical exam. Candidates must also graduate from the local police academy. According to the Department, "many agencies require some college coursework or a college degree."
Career #4: Dental Hygienist
Career #5: Computer Programmer
Used TextBook Link
Homework: Take a little trip and take some pictures to share with the class ^.^
1. San Francisco
a. Golden Gate Bridge
b. China Town
c. Piers- Fisherman Wharf
d. SF Zoo
e. Japan Town
g. AT&T Park
h. Union Square
i. Angel Island
k. Embarcadero Street
a. Gilroy Premium Outlet
c. Lake 152- San Anotonio
d. Bonfonte Garden
3. Monterey Bay
a. 17 miles trail
4. Santa Cruz
a. Beaches- Sea Cliff, Beach Board Walk
b. Mystery Spot
c. Railroad Camp
d. Light House
5. San Jose/ Milpitas
a. Great Mall
b. Little Saigon
c. Japan Town
d. Japanese Garden/ Happy Hollow Zoo
e. Rose Garden: Municipal, Naglee
f. Alumrock Park
g. Pumpkin Patch: Emma Prush Farm
h. Golf course
i. Bay 101
k. Santana Row
l. Winchester Mystery House
m. Tech Museum
n. HP Pavillion
o. Children Discovery Museum
6. Santa Clara
a. Great America
7. Los Gatos/ Los Altos
c. Hakone Japanese Garden
a. Silicon Valley Street
9. Palo Alto
a. Stanford University
b. Stanford Shopping Mall
10. Napa/ Calistoga
a. winery- Castello di Amorosa
b. wine train
c. mud bath/ mineral bath
Sample My Favorite City
1. What city do you want to visit?
2. How will you get there?
3. Why do you want to go there? List 3 reasons and 3 examples
4. What will you do there? List 2 or 3 activties
5. How long will you stay there?
6. What kind of accommodation will you stay in?
7. How do you feel about the trip?
Kuala Lumpur- Malaysia
I miss the polluted smoke, the horrible traffic and the hot scorching sun in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have been in the United States for a year already, and I plan to go back to Malaysia this Christmas. My family is still over there. They miss me a lot. I also want to take my husband to my country, because he has never been there. Besides, I’m starving for the authentic Malaysian food. Those spicy tofu and hot mushroom noodle always make my mouth watered. On the first few days, I think I will tour my husband around the famous capital of Malaysia. I want to show him where I grew up. Then, I want him to see all of the tourist attractions such as the Petronas Twin Towers, Malaysia Heritage Walk, the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra, the City Center… Then, we will visit other cities and learn about their cultures. We can sunbathe on the beautiful long beach of Batu Ferringhi; or we can hike on the top of the mountain on Brinchang. We can also visit different exciting island attractions like the fund amusement parks Labuan island or the adventurous hiking trail of Tanah Ratah. Finally, we will taste all the authentic food of Malaysia with my beloved family. My husband suggests that we should stay there for at least three weeks, and we will get a one-bedroom studio near my house. I will try to get an inexpensive studio with enough conveniences. I’m very eagerly waiting for my trip.
FUNDING OUR ADULT SCHOOL!!!
MILPITAS LIBRARY SERVICES
Listening & Speaking
Grammar and Writing